Help your students get to Know Your Place better
Aimed at Key Stages 2, 3 and 4, our learning pack is designed to support local history, local heritage and cross-curricular learning in schools, community groups and other educational facilities using Know Your Place digital mapping tool.
Use the pack with Know Your Place to discover your local history, get involved with your local community and start conversations about local heritage. Be inspired to upload your own content onto Know Your Place, and help us grow this rich local heritage community resource for everyone.
Free to download
The pack provides a range of lessons, activity ideas, heritage resources and worksheets to support school lessons, fieldwork and group sessions. You can download the complete pack, or individual chapters below.
The pack contains 6 themed ‘lessons,’ each with a choice of activities that can be used and adapted to suit your intended outcomes. There are further resources and links to support you throughout the pack and a series of case studies which demonstrate how other schools and other organisations have used Know Your Place before.
We have also consulted with a range of teachers and group leaders about using Know Your Place for learning:
“It will be a very powerful tool for enabling pupils to see how the local landscape has changed over time…this is an excellent resource to support geography and history in schools.”
– Jon Barr, Head teacher of Meadowbrook Primary School
“KYP is a marvellous resource and I think it’s important we let our members know it’s out there!”
– Liz Caldwell, Leader of Somerset Young Archaeologists’ Club
“The site was the main resource used in the local study… and contributed greatly to the children’s learning.”
– Karen Clark, Class Teacher, Frome Vale Academy
“Fab resources that are free to use – links in with many areas of national curriculum”
– Year 3 teacher, Robinswood Primary Academy Trust
- Lesson 1 – Introduction to digital maps on Know Your Place
- Lesson 2 – How to use Know Your Place
- Lesson 3 – History of my school: exploring the area
- Lesson 4 – Local history: exploring landmarks and place
- Lesson 5 – Settlements and sites: exploring landscape
- Lesson 6 – Showcase and Celebrate your local heritage
- Case Studies – How can I apply Know Your Place to my lessons?