About the project
Know Your Place is a digital heritage mapping project to help you to explore your neighbourhood online through historic maps, collections and linked information.
Know Your Place – West of England covers Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire and the former Avon area. It will provide unprecedented online access to historical maps, onto which users can add information about their local area, building a rich and diverse community map of local heritage for everyone.
The project runs until June 2017 and will provide comprehensive cover of the modern counties of South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, North Somerset, Bath & North East Somerset and Somerset.
The project has been awarded £379,800 by the Heritage Lottery Fund, with generous match-funding and in-kind support from local authorities and heritage groups in the region, including £5,000 match-funding from the lead partner, South Gloucestershire Council.
We are being funded to achieve the following Approved Purposes:
- To scan, digitise and geo-reference historical maps from Gloucestershire, South Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Somerset, North Somerset, Bath and North East Somerset.
- To expand the existing ‘Know Your Place’ Bristol website to include historical maps from the West of England area.
- To recruit and train volunteers.
- To deliver basic conservation of fragile maps.
- To create a mobile app.
- To create an exhibition to be toured to venues.
- To deliver a range of heritage learning activities including talks and presentations, a blog, heritage walks, school resource packs and oral histories.
- To upload condition surveys of heritage assets to the website.
1518 out of 1518 maps have been digitised.
Volunteer work on maps
Preparing digitised maps by cropping and georeferencing so they can go online.
West of England on the map
Wiltshire, Bath & NE Somerset and Gloucestershire are now mapped with more data to be added soon.
Community projects starting Spring 2017.